NEWSLETTER FEBRUARY 2019
I don’t mean to depress everyone who reads this particular newsletter, but this list is something I obtained from one of the local funeral homes. They are statistics you will not like but cannot ignore. They emphasize the need to plan your future, not only for your sake but the sake of your loved ones.
- The 2006 age-adjusted death rate stood at 776.4 deaths per 100,000 population, the preliminary number of deaths in the United States in 2006 was 2,426,900.
- Of the 2.4 million deaths annually, approximately 75% result in earth burial or entombment and 25% result in cremation.
- 3 out of 4 wives become widows and 1 out of 2 women become a widow before age 55, 1 of 4 widows is under age 45.
- The average American wife spends 18 years as a widow.
- Half of older women age 75+ live alone.
- 44.8% of all deaths are under age 40 (13% infants).
- For the first time since the Spanish influenza of 1918, life expectancy is falling for a significant number of American women. In nearly 1,000 counties that together are home to about 12% of the nation’s women, life expectancy is now shorter than it was in the early 1980’s, according to a study published in PLoS Medicine, an open-access journal of the Public Library of Science.
- Men are two and a half times more likely than women to die from accidental death. Compared to women, men have higher death rates for all 15 leading causes of death and die six years younger on average.
- Wives make 82% of funeral arrangements.
- Over 150,000 people die every day on the planet, on average 1.8 people die every second.
- The average American life expectancy in 2007 was 78.9 years. (male-75.38 and female 80.43) Women live longer than men by an average of 5.1 years. This means that about 85% of women die alone – unmarried, divorced, or widowed.
- Persons reaching age 65 have an average life expectancy of an additional 18.2 years (19.5 years for females and 16.6 years for males).
- 18% of today’s 65-year old men will live to age 90 or beyond and 29% of today’s 65 year old women will live to age 90 or beyond.
How does the saying go? The only things certain in life are death and taxes? So whether you contact me or another attorney, if you haven’t done any planning for the future, do not procrastinate any longer. If you don’t plan, you will be leaving a mess behind.
The Disciplinary Counsel requires all lawyers notify recipients of e-mail that (1) e-mail communication is not a secure method of communication; (2) any e-mail that is sent between you and this office may be copied and held by various computers it passes through as it is transmitted; (3) persons not participating in our communications may intercept our communications by improperly accessing your computer or this office’s computer or even some computer unconnected to either of us that this e-mail passes through.
E-mail confidentiality and HIPPA Privacy Statement: This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Secs, 2510-2521, and he Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, 42 U.S.C. Sec. 1320d, et seq., and contain information intended for the recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, copying, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be a criminal offense. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by E-mail, and delete the original message. Thank you.